Friday, May 28, 2010

How The World Ends (Thanks TS Eliot)


You've heard it said, "You are what you eat." I read once that similarly, "What you study you become." - That being said, if you read the last post ('Bang Bang') you'll have a broader scope when reading this one.

I wrote this last night. The first verse was about a week ago? or Tuesday? It's been hectic lately - regardless, the melody and music and first verse was down, then after a difficult day at work yesterday, the pent up steam fogged up my computer screen and my mind traced these lyrics in it's wake. What you study you become. I don't know, I believe I've been a romantic from day one, but maybe that's what I studied without knowing it. The lens of a lover, my songs are all about one thing. Thank goodness for Shakespeare's encouragement, " So all my best is dressing old words new, Spending again what is already spent: For as the sun is daily new and old, So is my love still telling what is told" - Sonnet 76

Love, love of God, love of work, love of anything and everything, and often the flip side of love...not hate - fear - and the subsequent pain it carries with it.


Like I even think the whole point of salvation is to get ever closer (on this wild ride) to having a Bold heart - a childlike heart. I am clearly digressing. It's been a while since I've had time to write anything on here. The yell into the echo. My dance someone may, or may not watch - who am I even talking to? Do I talk to myself this way? It's important to know your audience, but I don't think anyone can quite define that - the internet is a fairly open forum (for now), and someone may or may not look - who knows who the audience is? Maybe we're all just writing for ourselves hmmm? Or maybe we can also say we're all concordantly consumers - the consumer culture, the great leviathan of a Post-Modern Capitalistic mentality?

A bachelors in Philosophy - it's embarrassing, humbling I guess. If they offered it I think I would've taken Theology first - even Journalism (but it's all "mass communications" now) - and with a Bachelors in Philosophy I get to take a foriegn language and also it counts towards getting an MBA...and I could use the education in Philosophy anyway. So here's my song - do you remember that's what I was going to post?


How The World Ends (Thanks TS Eliot)

Gold hair spun to beauty easy/ Time & time again you please me/ Care to hear the world as I see/ You got it baby

Try & try but it's not workin'/ Necktied slaves and vultures circlin'/ Breakin' & buying this drudgery/ You know why baby?

'Cause this is how our world ends/ This is how our world ends/ This is how our world ends - Not with a bang/ Oh not with a bang/ But in poetry.

Words you say make all the difference/ Like a child whose raised on kisses/ Leave my mouth starving in apathy/ Baby

Give me only future unseen/ Not sure a' life & what it means/ These arguments are so futile to me/ baby

Cause this is how the world ends/ This is how the world ends/ This is how the world ends/ Not with a bang/ Oh not with a bang/ But with poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment