Monday, June 13, 2011

Evolution.

Only our toys and dress have changed. We are, under all circumstances the same beings that always are. The arrogant organisms. The short-sighted masses itchy with pangs for pleasures and conquests and 'happiness'.

A few have available to them the frequent meditation of not only the brevity of human life, but the brevity of the time our faculties serve us as master; when our hands and feet and mind move swiftly to our calling.

History and the future are going to be themselves-our time is now, in our short span of life we will have a set amount of presidents and celebrities, but that will make them neither greater or lesser than any before or after them - so "puny is the arena of human fame" to paraphrase Marcus Aurelius.

I could meditate on that picture to remind myself of my own little nature. my own arrogance, a reflection of my own short-shortsightedness. Something to be continually fought certainly, especially if I am to have any joy with my time through these short decades that slip by faster and faster.

If I die around 80, my death year will be 2062; but I plan to live till 102, and die in 2084 - I'm going to go out in the 80's; just like I once started this little respite on Earth in the 80's. Think on your potential death-date, think on it and linger on those thoughts, you'll find the present truly a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment