Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Burning Man

If you live in Ohio, you know two things - 1) it's not frequently very exciting (lest one be an excited individual) - and 2) there's a 62 foot touchdown Jesus statue on Interstate 75.

no kidding

I drove by this statue a lot when I worked in Cinci and it came to become my friend on these drives. Plus it's Jesus (Jesus is a friend of mine) and he looks like he just wants out of that pond. I remember the statues steel rods sticking out where the hands weren't placed yet; seeing it every time I went to see an old friend and her family; on the way to the outlet malls, to movies at the awesome Cinema out there, the IKEA, picking up drunk friends, watching Ray Lamontagne, whatever.

Eventually, after a year or so, every time I drove by my buddy Christ trapped in a pond outside the non-denominational mega-church that spent the 500K on it's erection - I would yell things like "Get me out of here!" or "Why Lord!" or "What am I doing here!" amongst probably a hundred or so other proclamations of shock and frustration the Touchdown Jesus could be yelling out to his Father with his hands up in the "Serenity Now" position.

Frank: Doctor gave me a relaxation cassette. When my blood pressure gets too high, the man on the tape tells me to say, 'Serenity now!'
George: Are you supposed to yell it?
Frank: The man on the tape wasn't specific.

It seems yesterday, during a storm, Christ finally had enough and wanted out of the pond. So as any good Deity would do, he struck himself with lightning - on his right hand - and was swallowed whole in a fiery plume. With great love I say good-bye to a weak rendition of Jesus; however sadly, the Mega-Church is planning on rebuilding another such monstrosity in it's place. All I'm saying is that if they take more than three days, I'm not believing it.


(check out the links in blue)

No comments:

Post a Comment