Friday, September 3, 2010

Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4


Well, I am not near even into this game yet, but I can tell you that I am enjoying it thus far and will most likely continue to as time wears on. It is a change of pace from the standard role playing action adventure games that I play, and the co--op is something completely awesome - though that trend is becoming the standard in gaming now and I worry that it will dilute the potency of good co-operative work as we have seen happening with the 3-D trend (also hitting gaming and television soon). However after writing thus, I might just be becoming old.

Moving on - The trip with Hagrid down Daigon Alley and into the Leaky Cauldron and Grinnots is awesome. You go to the shops and following Nearly Headless Nick around to get the lay out of Hogwarts is a charming gaming device. It has that affect on me where I want to get back and play it to see how the Lego Harry Potter characters will enact the major scenes from the books and movies. They of course do it in a completely 'Lego' way - which up until I played this game, i was unaware of though now understand the appeal of the "Lego" series of video games.

There is something playful and adorable about the characters. You never feel you are in great danger and yet there is enough anxiety to keep you wanting more - especially since you know how these things are unfolding. Skip the next part if you've never read these books...and go buy these books used.

As I learned Wingardum Leviosa and Lumos I thought about having to run into the Basilisk or Bezulbub (sp?) - I already fought the Mountain Troll and even that was initially nerve wracking because I wasn't sure of the controls. I came to find out - as is perfect for a 'children's' game' - that destroying everything with "Expelliarmus" pretty much gives you the answer you want. The puzzles are fun and being able to - and sometimes having to - toggle between the character I think maintains the spirit of the book where you don't just make friends with Harry, but you care about all of them. I will admit I was more comfortable (on the Qudditch level) playing as Hermonie versus using Ron (though him and Scabbers were helpful).

I will give a final review once I am finished with the game, but as a fan of the books, and as one with a conscious effort to be as engrossed as possible (its easy and awesome and you always want more), I can tell you that this game will probably get a great rating from me.

The negative -

Some layouts aren't very clear and the controls are clunky in part - which is kind of easy to forgive because it's amazing that Lego's can even move like that; which is a fact I knew they were hiding when I used to try and turn myself around fast enough to watch my toys playing.

Kaa-kawww!

Karan

No comments:

Post a Comment