Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lovin'

Sometime last year, in a conversation with an old friend and once roommate, I sighed the admittance to myself that I was in fact, a 'Romantic'. Why it makes me sigh is beyond me, but maybe that's just how us Romantics are.

Regardless, I am terrified of marriage due to two divorces I've seen first hand and been shrapnel in. The image of a terrific love story then is clouded by romantic comedies and some straight romantic plays and novels and various media. The latter is a terrible formation for anyone who is a romantic - ironically I'm sure both of these are what fostered the deep rooted desire for a Love, whilst simultaneously leaving me with some terrible tools to do just that.

As time goes on however, I learn and see how dastardly I've been; and not just to others, but even when considering how I allowed myself to be treated - which is really just a reflection of how I treated myself. Alas, one must truly learn to love oneself before they can adequately fulfill the commandment to "Love one another like you love yourself". Then it comes to forgiving oneself, laughing at ones attempts, and having some genuine affection for the sincere effort one put in over and over.

That being said, I am and have been for a bit over a year, learning about love - and I'm certain that this training never ends, yet is continually enriched - especially considering that as a Catholic being able to reflect the purity of God's love in my fibers is the most intelligent way to live my life. Like the end of the book, 'The Great Divorce' by CS Lewis, "Keep going further up and further in!". Here of course I am not speaking of that Love, but one aspect of that Love, which is to say, Romantic love (also 'The Four Loves' by CS Lewis is pretty worthwhile).

Here then, I will share with you something from my romantic. I came across this on my favorite blog (i check the damn thing like it's crack) - Sid Ceaser put together a short film that was screened during the previews at a movie theater which him and his now fiancée frequent. Oh, and he did it using Muppets that he custom ordered to bear resemblance to the couple. What a cool way to ask someone to hang out with you indefinitely. I love it.

Watch the preview here and see the couple below the video to see what they really look like! Cool story yeah?


Sid & Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment