Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Revelation.

Naked singularities are an exotic prediction of Einstein's Theory of Relativity. They start as ultra-dense fireballs thought to form when a massive dying star (four to five times heavier than our Sun) exhausts its nuclear fuel (Supernovas) and collapses under its own weight. They are so massive that neutron degeneracy cannot hold them together, and so they go beyond even being a tiny but immensely massive neutron star. They continue folding in on themselves, collapsing again and again till they are infinitely small singularities, so dense that they begin sucking in the world around them. The reason they are called Naked Singularities is because they should be able to be seen by the naked eye of any one who wants to see.

But remember, they start out exploding "Like spiders across the stars" - Kerouac. Of course they are just exploding around themselves, a relationship with a star that near by would be much different when considering the final stages of a massive stars life - or even it's daily existence - however like Jack K, we will use that quote more figuratively and for it's imagery.

The last book in the Roman Catholic Bible is called Revelation, and is also known as Apocalypse. The sky's will be aflame. Spiders across the sky. And in the end, there will simply be left another rip in space and time, a black hole - whose determined natural function is for the life and worlds around it to fall hopelessly into it in an instant, though it will seem they are forever suspended in time; in the end then, as always it is, and always it has been - it will all be an unabashedly naked singularity.

I like to read the first verse and the last verse in the Bible. Gen 1:1 and Rev. 22:21. I like to do this periodically because in a few moments I read the start and finish of everything as believed by my own faith (I'm not sure where this is placed theologically so I do not want to ascribe this thinking to the teaching of Mother Church). I see those two verses, and inevitably, I am flooded full, as if a tide has come in, with snapshots of my life from India, through the continents I've lived on, through my studies, through my friends new and old, through the dreams of my future and the confusions of my present and the perspectives on 'reality' all in an instant. It's an effort actually to try and elongate this period of rapid uncontrolled reflection - as if my own soul explodes for a moment, or begins preparing to supernova or nova one day (we can hope it is a nova so it may end as a white dwarf versus a black hole).

I then think of the world that isn't just me, which is to say, the world! Every other thing which comes to mind, till I even begin having this feeling of dancing perilously at the edge of a cliff where I begin seeing my thoughts also as not my own - but of one who I am only a part of. A part who is wholly me, yet who I am wholly not, but only a part of. It is about then that I either fall or explode or come off the edge or whatever synonym you may find most palatable. The whole story of time as perceived by humanity exists between those two verses. Everything we know, ever can know, ever will know, and whatever developments in science and math and art and argument, etc. etc. etc. fall somewhere in between those two verses; all wars, births, marriages, evils, starts and finishes, every single thing which we as humans here will ever, ever be or have been or are - falls in between those two verses.

In the end then, after everything that has happened and will happen, all our worries and triumphs - everything will become part of a naked singularity. I mean this not as theoretical astronomy, that in fact the universe will fall back into itself only to 'big-bang' again (one theory) - but rather theoretically and figuratively theologically. That in the end, as in all things in some ways - at the finish, we see nakedly what it all was singularly. Whether what we see is reality or not I will not attempt to begin discussing, because I am not arguing what reality is - rather what we see, one way or another, to bring ourselves closure on things, is with a nakedness. Often more so a nakedness of ourselves during that period of time - one may even call this humility - but that also I can not intelligently speak to here. So in the end, all of humanity, everything we are to one another, is set to be revealed so unabashedly and simply that we may call all things at once - a naked singularity. And so maybe it is said,

"The Grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen." - Revelation 22:21.

No comments:

Post a Comment