Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Matthew 18:1-3; and brief encounters with those who lived history presently.

This passage always resonates in me. However, as I grow up, I am blessed to joyfully realize that like most of the Bible, Christ sure doesn't mean this literally. I can't imagine forgetting how to feed myself, or pouting if I don't get my way or going to the bathroom in my pants is what Jesus means right? But instead, the ability to live absolutely magnificently, lost deep in every moment. To really live life, and not just spend it trying to 'make sense' of it or taking care of this that and the other thing with the absence of seamless, unconscious, and unsought joy, a.k.a. our natural state...our original state...

How you can watch a kid cry, and in the next second the little he or she is laughing because you're making funny noises or pretending to fall or playing with them in hundreds and thousands and millions of holy ways; so easily giving up their obsession with their pains.

How they are able to have so much genuine fun in the same world we live in; and not because they don't have gripes! Oh no! A child has more intense desires than any adult can even remember having! Just try and remember with what intensity you once wanted to have your own money to buy anything you wanted when you wanted; that toy that you just neeeeeeeeddddeeeed, or when you were a little adolescent and just could. not. wait. to have your own space (just a few small examples among a never-ending number of examples).

So it's not that kids don't have the frustrations which come replete with the human condition; but rather it's there ability to let things truly slide. To quickly forget (who needs to forgive when you can't care enough to remember?) and love. Kids just love, they are love, they are love incarnate. They're the most beautiful image of the beauty which is love incarnate and the peril which is the basic human condition - and all in one hopelessly, hopelessly, hopelessly cute little package.

I could talk far too much about this, but this video I think is a great picture of the reality of Reality and how in such important and precise ways, we must, "become like children."

See you later at the climbing pole.

Love,

Karan

2 comments:

  1. (who needs to forgive when you can't care enough to remember?)

    Very, very, good and thought provoking line from your post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, on some articles I don't feel like I'm writing them, but that i'm recording something that is already written. Fleeting and quick, easy to break if held onto to tightly. So I say thank you for the kind thought, but to clarify, feel I have (in my little opinion) nothing to do with the words themselves. Glad God used them to provoke thoughts for you though. And i'm sure you're used to this kind of talk with a philosophy professor for a husband! ha! :D Thanks for taking an interest.

    Karan

    ReplyDelete