Monday, January 25, 2010

Somewhere inside us...there lives a sassy black woman.

I gravitate towards what is considered ‘Classic’ literature because most contemporary stuff has not generally had the same lasting effect on me the 'Classics' do.

I am also leery of anything Oprah likes.

All that being said, last night brought about Maya Angelou and I felt a sense of kinship with her- in some way. I also liked her laughter and power, her humility – and in that humility, her correctly framed pride – as if she’s got ‘gold mines digging in her own back yard’. She comes across as an image of real beauty – at least in my quick glimpse of this video.

I watched this video a few times last night and re-read her poem a few times too (linked for you at the bottom). I read it while I listened to her recite it, it was awesome. Her recital does a lot for the experience.

With an understated smile and most theatrical bow,
El Karan






No comments:

Post a Comment