Saturday, January 23, 2010

What up Ya'll!

Hello! I have missed you my friends. Shall write more soon.
Check this cools shit out in the interim.






I have just been singing the hell out of the song "Five to One" over the last week or week and a half. Standing smoking I'm banging my feet on the ground, last night I was walking in step with the beat (dragging my boot for the double beat) while singing it. I have no idea why! Must be something magical about the song - that sounds most scientific and sound.

I also learned it so I can perform it. Its a) super easy, and b) there really is something about the song because something takes me over when I sing it...maybe my beard is channelling the Ghost of Jimmy M.

Most of the lyrics to this song, the rhythmic drone, just the whole thing man! And I love how you can see that 'spirit' in Joshua James - though that young man has it regardless.

He was raised a Mormon and had to hide his records from his parents because they would smash them (literally). His dad always said, "Unless you want to dig ditches, you gotta get an education." -
Well Joshua left college three years ago and just now days his dad is starting to come around because he was very worried that his son wouldn't be able to support his wife and home. Really cool. I have been sort of transfixed by a few songs, but haven't given the whole album I bought (support his family!) enough of a listen. And also I bought his first one I think, I don't really know, I just love what I've heard so far - and especially this song, and probably most importantly because he reminds me of me in some ways. On the radio he said something like, "You have to give it everything you can and make it as authentic as possible; you have to believe and feel what you're singing because you only really get one chance with that audience - and I think if you're doing something authentic people connect with that." - a bit of a paraphrase. But that's how I feel about performing music, so of course I'm going to like him! However his music stands good by itself too.

Talk to you later man,

el Karan

No comments:

Post a Comment