Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"We are unique variations of eachother" The Madman Laughs at Everything - Section One

The poverty in India stayed with me. Each year I go back I see the same children and families growing older, coming up to the same people they watch change and evolve at the same stop lights. I remember some anxiety or sadness when one little girl didn't come up after a few days of being there; the brothels and murder are real options to these people.

I never feel I do enough, and I frankly don't do enough, but I also don't know what that means. I guess if I don't lend my whole life and entire existence to such cause (poverty, fresh water, education, etc.) then I feel I am doing nothing even if I'm taking care of those around me to my best ability.

Poverty strikes me very deeply, images of old men coated in pollution sitting naked in the middle of the hustle and bustle of those who showered and ate rise to my minds surface quickly. The blind man with leprosy and his old wife getting older each year - sometimes they have a new can they hang on the bandaged nub where what's left of his hand is - that nub gets smaller each year. The young girls holding their naked and crying siblings. Watching those siblings grow.


I remember seeing them turn down jobs offered by my grandparents and take the whips that hands from other cars would throw out; I even saw my uncles side of the family do it once and it was very jarring to me. Cops get in on this as well - the refuse, the unwanted, the pests - the image of that old man staring blankly in blistering heat sitting amongst the hustle and bustle comes to mind. I wonder if he was just waiting to die.


I went for a laugh today to a site called 'Friends of Irony' (linked the name for you) - and there I found this pic - and though ironic, made me sad that this could even be on a site dedicated to giving little mini laughs to get you through some lulls...or whatever, that's what I use it for (and there are others too!). So no fault of the site, but of the culture that accepts this reality; I don't know, I've been told I'm idealistic - but I've been told by The Madman who laughs at Everything that "An Idealist is a person with an idea, and a list" - Madness 27:10

So instead here's the picture of irony with a quote that frames it properly. Now to make a list. Number one, write out emotions in blog article to clear head - done. On our way! Yipee!


"When a poor person dies of hunger, it has not happened because God did not take care of him or her. It has happened because neither you nor I wanted to give that person what he or she needed." - Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment