Monday, July 19, 2010

Helsinki

I was warming up to sing and record a song a few years ago, about four years. I began strumming and just singing to warm up. I began making up words instead of humming first; thus, I cannot remember how to play this song and this is the first time I’ve written the words down in four-ish years. I like this song very much and I will be looking for help to figure out the chords I might be playing. Since it was nonsense to me, I entitled it ‘Helsinki’ which is the first word that came in mind after I realized I was warmed up and could stop singing – which I didn’t realize I was doing for the five minutes and twenty seconds the song is. It has a bridge and a discernable chorus and verse structure – that it has it without actually being structured, or even written, is the part I find so fascinating. Hope you like the lyrics. Started university again today. Yippee-doo -

Helsinki
Skeptical of myself I’ll teach you how to think/ about me as I spend another year in my drink/ quick flash, blast beyond the past/ don’t disparage the world it’s just a rash

Sick sought, fantasies we fought/ in actuality anxiety has been eased/ let me trade you for another set of memories/ let me enslave you before I hit my knees

A trade a game, a card a name/ I see a shooting star, I’ve gone slightly insane/ bicker back at her, the banter begins to shatter/ into many pieces we joyfully scatter/ let me trade you for another set of memories/ let me enslave you before I hit my knees

Run run the queen has set us free/ She’s possessed by demons that she does not even see/ However we must remember her for immortality/ or the country will crumble and the cities will fall/ standing on the shoulders of these giants makes me appear tall

So I can see the horizon as the future approaches like an army/ light this match to understand the bourgeoisie/ let me trade you for another set of memories/ let me enslave you before I hit my knees

I feel lonely and broken, feel the drip of these words spoken, windows into worlds, feel what can’t be heard/ you will not bring me to the grave, I’ll walk there myself/ you will not taste bitter days, I’ll take them myself/ just let me trade you for another set of memories/ and let me enslave you, before I hit my knees.

-Karn Singh & The Freshwater

No comments:

Post a Comment