Thursday, April 8, 2010

If I was only half this talented, well, well [grunts, distortion. Air guitar].

I was thinking the other day about Rock music. I wasn't so into it when I was little-er - but after recording my last album, a couple of songs turned out full on rock. One especially which is pretty much one of the only songs I listen to off it anymore (The vocals need upping and I'll make sure you know when it's up on iTunes).

I wondered what made rock so popular, and I have begun tossing around the idea (nothing formal yet) of the popularity of rock being found in the rockers. It's FUN to make rock music, more fun than ever. A wall of sound hits you and it's overpowering and you think, fuck! I made that! Some good lyrics presented with a howl and it's hard not to enjoy what you just made. It's not the same joy folksy music gives me, it's a whole different thing. It's really like I'm listening to somenoe else, and it's really cool to experience.

If rockers get too far wrapped up in this haze of self-indulgence, I can imagine it spreads and their friends want the same feeling- thus bearing the love of the rocker. I speak from a man and sort of artists perspective, I don't know why women like rockers so much, I feel like after I play they are talking to a song and an image versus just me anyways, and they all seem to think they know you; some guys do this too - maybe they do know me cause it's a very intimate thing I share by letting them watch. But their listening is intimate for them, so eh - other topic.

Anyhow, this rock popular by the fun of making rock is just a theory, un-vetted yet, not what I usually enjoy presenting. Then today, in the web of inters, I stumble across this, and think, hmmm. Maybe there's something to the popularity of rock by the desire to rock so much (which also may be the reason to lead to harder music, i.e. addicts want more and harder drugs - addicted to rock could lead to metal...just sayin). So then Screamo gets born from Metal, and somewhere, it gets too much, and then it goes back to people that should stick their songs on acoustics and not try and impress their form upon the matter of rock. When rock becomes 'pop music' it sucks, but people still buy. Then record companies find a 1000 more acts that try and mimic the sound. Look at the devolution (from my angle) of Sex Pistols and Clash to Green Day and Blink 182 - and it's only gotten worse (though bands like the Black Keys give me a lot of hope for the salvation of good ol' rock!) ; and let's not leave out Zepplin and Floyd, American rock must not be under-rated. Plus, I think it's what bore Punk, which got confused with rock - and further, that American rock was born of folk which was born of blues - and that we can easily trace back to Africa. Or maybe it's just age and this is a protracted way I'm saying, "I just don't get these kids music these days. You see in my day..." - this is very possible and I might dare to say, likely. I still think my rock songs are the balls though ps.

Check out the video below and tell me how badly this guy wants to rock. So much, he somewhere in there, I'm sure believes it's really him rocking...but I can't imagine he knows it for certian. But then again I can't imagine the things I do sometimes.

Rock C-Diddy! Rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment