Monday, April 12, 2010

Nerdcore

The more genuine definition of 'Nerd' is 'Enthusiast' - and now I have back up.

Dude, this seems like it might be a cool movement. I also found the music good on first pass and this documentary I'll have to find to really start diggin in. A few things in my first research - Nerdcore goes close to the soul and root of rap (expressed in this trailer too), however, it totally should spread to the other generes. I say 'close' because the oppression isn't as outright - but nerds are oppressed for sure.

To which I see my second point - Wizard Rock (better spelled 'Wrock') - Music based on the world of Harry Potter. I personally have already one song under my belt (entitled "Chillin' at Hogwarts") - and I must say, our belt, because without my friends this probably wouldn't have happened.

Point three is a small laugh to me because even in the world of Nerd, the rap gets the commercial out first. However, nerds are all pretty open, yet seem quite secretive - because partialy it takes a bit of inner nerd to find where the nerds be at....in this case, I can't think of anyone I know that knows of Nerdcore Hip-Hop; but I live in Ohio, so you take what you want from that. As far as the music itself? Pretty solid. Very old school hip hop. Awesome. So far I've seen a greater range in 'Wrock music' but then this is my first foray into Nerdcore (and it's already put itself in a specific genre of music, while Wrock is really just anytype of music dealing with Wizards and the Potter world...to which we may also now add folk rock).

Again, anyways, Nerdcore seems like a cool movement; at least for some one who finds it hard to come by good, intelligent Hip hop (not rap) these days and with only a few major artists putting that out, we find ourselves going back to the 'old well' often -"we" here being those who appreciate, or can appreciate good hip hop (also called Wisdom rap in some circles). Nerdcore adds a playfullness which seems replete with Nerdom.

Your three take aways? 1) The Nerd is finding a voice 2) Nerdcore isn't a bad option it seems for someone who wants good hip hop 3) you're reading something a nerd wrote about something nerdy in a nerdy way. What's that? You want an extra takeaway? Sure thing, here you go... - Folk Wrock will blast your maroon and gold socks off.


No comments:

Post a Comment