Thursday, August 26, 2010

Scientific progress goes 'Boink'

I request the Jury take into account the following; I present my long standing love for Calvin & Hobbes. As with most things I say I 'love' - it involves respect, awe, admiration, desire and a tint of peace. I cannot say I would sacrifice for them, so I cannot then say I actively love Calvin & Hobbes, but the strip is very close to my heart.


Like others, namely TinTin, Asterix, some DC/Marvel, and especially Archie, Calvin & Hobbes were some of my best friends. I spent hours upon hours upon hours in their world when I was younger. As with most things I was so intimate with, I sketched them and they instructed the artistic muscles in my hand when I was young. I loved Spaceman Spiff, and the various gruesome Snowmen, and the talks and the everything. I would get really really excited when I saw a collection - it had that twinge when I saw it - a whisper in my young head, serious as ever, a reflex - "I have to have that" it said.


As an adult, a fairly young adult, I've taken on new things, poetry, music, little internet videos (which i swear are actually bad for my mind), video games and exercise and quitting smoking and a philosophy degree, etc. etc. etc. However I cannot say that these texts, Calvin & Hobbes included, do not somehow effect my present as so clearly I see them in my formation. Plus! With older eyes, different sides of the comics become hilarious. I can't wait to give them to the next generation someday...whose attention span I pray, is not ruined by twitter and typing in short script.

Selah.

No comments:

Post a Comment