Friday, August 20, 2010

This seems appropriate.

Just this morning I was thinking about how no one would really know my enjoyment and respect and love for hip hop and some rap unless they knew me. I wondered how to accurately express this. To tell the history, to somehow talk about how good it feels to spit lyrics very quickly and how it helps in memorizing poetry. The evolution of it and it's effect upon the black culture and then the culture as a whole. I'm from India mind you, and I have respect for good hip-hop. Often called 'wisdom rap'. The Roots, Mos Def, KRS-One, Tribe Called Quest, Common, Talib, and on and on. The way interesting ideas can be conveyed; and if anyone has tried rapping, there truly is an art to it. To grab the cadence of words, to give them their own rhythm, their melody in a dance with a beat. The African roots and how they've evolved. Sometimes just some grimy rap is great. I can't explain what part of me, but the shadow enjoys it, the light is struck by how the shadow digs on it - and laughs.

I remember this song from 10th grade, and I have taken to redoing rap/hip-hop acoustically in the past...which isn't terrible ps. Here is a pretty cool rendition of an old Doctor Dre song from 'The Chronic' - which is a must own rap album. I love the juxtaposition of the look and persons singing with the song itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment