Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas, Scrooge, Janenism, a rabbit, George Clooney and a handsome little ass-hole

I've attended two movies in the last week - I think it's about a week; anyways, one was the new version of 'A Christmas Carol' and the other I attended today entitled 'Up in the Air' with George Clooney. Both movies were basically about the same thing - a very common topic and one just perfect for Christmas - redemption.




Before you run, shut down, or become prideful at the word 'Redemption' - we're not speaking of redemption in the sense of Jansenism (that's heretical actually according to the Second Vatican Council). It's not that we're these disgusting vile creatures who must entirely disparage the body and self in order to claim 'redemption'; the baby born today didn't come to tell us all that we're shitty, but rather that we're totally, incredibly, beautiful - and that's because that's what the reality really is - get it? The redemption we can experience should we allow it to grow in us is one that saves us from ourselves...
Not that God will be with us should we choose to be 'clean' - but that we choose to let ourselves be with God and in doing so He 'cleans' us. We're not dirty, we're awesome, he just doesn't like when we treat ourselves like we're dirty - hence the commandments and all that other stuff that every religion is saying!

As members of the audience to these films we are invited to be able to observe someone attached to their concepts and scripts and philosophies and thus their behaviors. We meet Scrooge and are allowed to observe the journey he's taken on resulting in him seeing what we saw right away - his totally fucked world view. Now 'Up in the Air' is far, far more subtle, but the message of redemption is clear if one has eyes for that framework. George Clooney is actually a very charming character (basically just himself I think, or would like to imagine I guess) and he gets along very well with pretty much everyone he meets however superficial the relationships clearly are to the audience. He even admits its superficiality and it fits perfectly well into his concept of life. Don't worry not many (if any) major spoilers in this brief review and discussion.


My therapist recommended me a book earlier this month, its seed took root - or at least I can say it made sense to me or clung to the reality already growing in the soil of my heart. The classic book, 'The Velveteen Rabbit'. This is the whole idea of redemption in a nutshell - to become real! Reality! Reality! Reality! - literally nothing redeems us more than an awareness and acceptance of the authentic - and though all major world religions point to that, ahem, reality, as a Catholic, I usually just listen to Christ talk about reality and experience the world with that heart - that's the authentic self in me. PS - Thomas Merton wrote a lot about the 'false-self' and the 'true-self' and we may discuss that at a different time, however, if you'd like further clarification on the difference between the false and true self (the "me" vs. the "I") - Merton is replete with wise treasures.

Watch this video before reading further; and ps. I feel like Babycakes pretty much all the time. People just being nice and having no idea, or interest in what I'm actually saying because they are listening with filtered ears and seeing the "me" when I talk. At least a lot of the people I've run into so far - hence the joy of solitude and the gifts therein!


It's true you know, it does happen all the time. That poor little kid with a sucky life? That's all of us who try and create a "reality" from a place of fear. The 'someone' from the hidden world of awesomeness? Our eternal consciousness - the "I" not the "me"!! How many ways can I say this!? Ha! We are the chosen kid, haven't you heard the tales of God choosing all of us to be here? Even if you don't believe in God, or any God or a God - you can imagine that even randomness elected you to be here - and I can argue the point of the lack of consciousness not being able to 'choose' all you want, I will win by way of definition...

So come one, everyones waiting, redeem yourself simply by allowing the "I" to purely observe the "me" and watch what God (or whatever the hell you want to call it) does inside you. You will watch yourself "fight, and win, and accept treasure, and accept love" and you will rule the hidden world of awesomeness (the intimacy with God in yourself, the "Pearl of Great Price") like the handsome little asshole you are.

Merry Christmas my good friends, I love you all - and that's the "I" loving the "I" in you; the "me" may not always assuredly enjoy your "me" - but I can guarantee the "I" will continually be full of love - that's all it was begotten off!








No comments:

Post a Comment